Wednesday 18 November 2009

EHarmony gets a ticking off

Ok, I’ve been looking at the news for online dating again so you can guess that things aren’t too exciting around here. I came across this a couple of hours ago - online dating company eHarmony have been rapped for misleading ads in their bid to take over the UK market for sad singletons (I‘m paraphrasing). The idea that a large company was being accused of false advertising is hardly surprising. I don’t believe anyone bolted upright in their chair at the mention of the statistic that “2% of US newly weds met via the site”. I find it more surprising that anyone fought their way through the fog of inertia to complain to be honest.

But there was something that struck me. Towards the end it mentions that it fails to point out in its advertising that in 20% of cases, they failed to find a match! What does that mean?? I’ve never looked at the service so I don’t know how it works but is this saying that 20% of all people who sign up are not fit for love? For relationships? For human interaction? I’m not remotely surprised that they fail to mention it, it’s got to be one of the scariest concepts I’ve ever heard of. And reason enough to stay away. That’s something about myself I don’t want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment